Written by our Cybersecurity Experts
The IT landscape has been revolutionised by the cloud. With more and more organisations adopting work-from-home strategies, the cloud’s growth is at an all-time high.
With this growth, the target on the cloud has grown larger and larger, making the importance of data protection even more critical than before.
Enterprise Strategy Group (ESG), a division of TechTarget, recently found that, while cloud backup is on the rise, there is still much confusion about the roles and responsibilities related to SaaS data protection. In some especially alarming cases, organisations run mission-critical SaaS applications without backup.
What is a SaaS Application, and do most SMB’s use them?
SaaS stands for: Software as a Service and is any application that is delivered over the internet.
Because of the “Cloud Adoption” craze, most businesses run SaaS applications in one way or another. The most common SaaS application is hosting your emails in Office 365, using Teams and SharePoint to collaborate and store team data.
My mails hosted through Google or Microsoft are secure, why would I need to back them up?
Of course, your mail service provider will ensure their level best to secure your mail environment with the necessary safety measures, but they can only control what they can, top reasons you need to backup your SaaS mail solution are as follows:
- Accidental Deletion – End user error.
- Retention Policy Gaps – Default retention periods for storage of deleted data are not long enough.
- Internal Security Threats – A rogue administrator or hacker can delete data.
- External Security Threats – Your data could become encrypted by ransomware on your desktops.
- Legal and Compliance Requirements – They don’t provide the ability to quickly (or at all) restore data. No Granular option.
SaaS Backups extend much further than just your email platform, from your ERP System to your CRM all platforms are at risk and protecting and backing them up is vital. If you are ready to take the next step to secure your SaaS applications, contact intY today.